Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Driving Me Crazy!

Growing up as a precocious child, I was always curious about driving a vehicle. My first recollection was riding a bus, and being amazed at the enormous size of the vehicle. After dropping in the fare into the glass coin box, I sat in the front seat and watched a huge black man steer the bus into the traffic. As he made each stop, he was careful to open the door and greet each customer with a smile. My most vivid memory is actually the steering wheel, and the drivers ability to move the wheel with great effort. Not only was power steering probably a luxury, I'm not sure if it was even invented at the time, so a driver must have been pretty strong to overcome the physics of steering a bus of such size and weight. To compensate, I believe each bus was outfitted with a larger than life steer wheel. In fact, I think it would be difficult for even Atlas to be able to carry it on his shoulders. I imagine such a steering wheel would be protruding from the side windows in a normal car today.

I often think about how much easier and fun it would be to drive with such a large steering wheel. Only a few inches of movement would surely allow one to make a 45 degree turn. I couldn't even imagine how large an air back it could contain, probably an air mattress, so you can believe that it would be safe! I would even bet that it could serve as a hula hoop and snare a thrown driver in the event of a front end collision. Imagine being saved in an accident and being able to compete in Ringling Bros. at the same time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Driving Miss Daisy was an excellent movie. That Morgan Freeman sure can act.

Anonymous said...

Nice thing about Morgan Freeman is that he always has a perpetual smile. Ever notice how some people are always smiling. Almost like a permanent grin? I pass someone almost daily and she always has this blank stare but a fixed smile. She looks strange.

Ever notice how clowns always have a painted smile affixed to their face? Almost manical. Perhaps, that's why many kids don't like clowns. Notice Batman never warmed up to the Joker. Wonder why? Freak of nature, that's why.

Be careful of clowns this Halloween. Never know when one's lurking nearby. Freaks of nature.

Anonymous said...

Hey, who's this clown disparaging, well, clowns? What are you, some kind of masochist?

Anonymous said...

Look I don't work on machines. I do know a freak when I see one. Besides clowns, who really likes mimes? There so dumb that they have to act everything out. How efficient is that? Wouldn't saying "pull a rope" be easier than spending an hour imitating a theatrical yank make more sense. Don't waste my time, you pantywaist. That's why only French people like pantomine. Freaks, they are too. Go back to beret land and eat some Vichyssoise, you commie. Who likes the French anyway? Freaks, they are.