Thursday, October 02, 2008

Scratch Pad

I was having a meeting with someone I hadn't met before, and for some reason, during the middle of the conversation, I completely forgot his name. I typically would like to mention a person's name in such a meeting to further a point, but simply could not figure out who he was. I tried to cheat to see if I could read his ID badge but unfortunately, it had been turned in such a matter that it was impossible to read. I wanted to resort to looking him up, but could not do so nonchalantly during the discussion. He also liberally mentioned my name during our discussion, and it started to become awkward when I just kept interjecting, "you know," in place of his name.

What really worried me, however, was that with the onset of fall's colder temperature, I realized that my skin was getting dry and increasingly itchy in the low humidity in my office, particularly in the deep recessed channel of my back where you just could not humanly reach unless you were a certified circus acrobat. As I became fidgety in my chair, I wanted to ask my cohort to scratch my back, but thought the better of it since I could not remember his name. The mere thought of someone putting their unsanitary hand down my back to scratch somehow seemed unappealing until I realized that I REALLY NEEDED this itch to be scratched!

What would you do?

6 comments:

Nathan Kinzel said...

Have you ever considered saying "I'm sorry, but could you tell me your name again." That takes care of problem number one.

To address your second issue, simply attribute your uncharacteristic lack of recall to this itch that had been driving you crazy. Sensing immediately that you were making a play for him, "Butch" would, I'm sure, immediately offer his nails for a manly game of scratch.

Anonymous said...

I often wonder why I end up in unusual predicaments like these. What do you do when someone you are meeting with opens up his desk drawer and pulls out nail clippers? And then, proceeds to clip his nails in front of you? It wouldn't have been so bad if he wasn't inadvertantly flinging his discards at me with each clip. Just imagine if he was clipping his finger nails.

Nathan Kinzel said...

Was there a particular finger that he needed to trim? Maybe that farm living has dulled your powers of observation.

Anonymous said...

It's the same finger that you are using to pick your nose.

Nathan Kinzel said...

I'm really disappointed with the amateurish nature of your last comment. You should be more of a proboscis.

Anonymous said...

Now you are getting too nosey!